Thursday 14 November 2013

Demonstrable Demographics


                I read through a bunch of different blogs, and the authors did a good job of deconstructing their chosen ads.  After reading them, I noticed the importance of hailing in advertisements, and how hailing can be approached from a variety of different ways. Also, it gave me insight into how my particular demographic is targeted and portrayed.
Hailing in advertising can be a very beneficial marketing technique, and after reading some other blogs I can see why. I think this occurs because interpellation and hailing can be used in a variety of different ways. I’ve seen examples of hailing being used in a very direct way “Get in. Get Happy” in a Volkswagen commercial (http://normanazi.blogspot.ca/). Pretty straightforward, it is a “buy our car and you will be happy” approach. I have also seen an indirect approach, such as the Van’s Warped Tour “Best Day Ever” poster (http://earthtosydney.wordpress.com/) , which basically addresses the viewer in a way that makes them feel “left out” if they aren’t participating in the event. Indirect or direct, it is clear to see how this can really hit home for some viewers.
I also noticed after reading the blogs that identity seems to be a prime focus of many advertisements. Considering that we are all a similar age demographic (18-25), and at this point in our lives we are still trying to figure out who we are. Marketers take advantage of this and use it as a selling point. Mm13sa makes an interesting point when she says that marketers “try and sell our identity to us”. In my opinion, when we buy a product that is advertised, not only are buying the product itself but we are also buying into the ideology or identity that is portrayed.
I don’t think our demographic is represented accurately in advertisements and that is intentional. I have to again agree with mms13, in that, advertisers will depict an idealized version of our demographic so we can strive for it. In most cases, the product in the advertisement is presented as the solution to reaching that idealized state. I think the key part, however, to making convincing, effective advertisements, is by making the depictions of our demographic believable enough so we can relate to it, but at the same time make it unbelievable, almost unattainable, so we desire it.
This was very enlightening for me. I realized how advertisements can give you a sense that the influence itself is more important than the product advertised. Marketing strives to give people the feeling that they can become whoever and whatever they want, and be fully realized as a person. It is interesting to see the extent in which people can be manipulated, whether they know it or it not, through this particular type of marketing.
Thanks to,



               
                 
               


No comments:

Post a Comment